Sunday 9 November 2008

Yoshitomo Nara

PJ Harvey - The Devil

I use this blog to talk a lot of crap about certain things I enjoy looking at during any given week. It's usually just photos or clothes that I've stumbled across and the lag between finding something of interest and posting it is very short. The opposite is true of Yoshitomo Nara, who has been one of my absolute favourites for as long as I can remember. I've avoided writing about him until now because there is a frustrating dearth of information about him online- he doesn't have his own website, and all of the unwelcoming, auction-house pages I do find tout out the same information, his age (49), where he studied art (Aichi Prefectural University of Fine Arts and Music) and how successful he is (a cult star in Japan, he has also shown worldwide in over 40 solo exhibitions). Then follows a set of annoyingly small, low-quality previews of his work. I finally decided that I had to do him justice when I rediscovered this clock, featuring a different Nara illustration for each hour and minute, which I have wanted for so long but has always been slightly prohibitive price-wise. Here are some of my favourite drawings and sculptures. I am Princess Snooze.








No comments: