Saturday 23 August 2008

Last Breath Bruises






I don't think I've left the house without a cardigan for the last 10 years, but whilst I do consider it an essential basic, I have never thought of knitwear as particularly exciting. Sandra Backlund's fiercely anti-practical knits are a slap in the face to granny's cosy Marks and Spencer cover-ups. The heavily sculpted designs are styled with fluidly metallic pvc, sheer nylon and bare flesh to emphasize Backlund's rejection of the traditional. My next cardigan will be bottle green, preferrably with 5ft shoulder pads.





"The human body is always the starting point in my work, I am really fascinated by all the ways you can highlight, distort and transform the natural silhouette of the body with clothes and accessories. I build my garments by hand from a couple of basic bricks which I multiply and attach to each other in different ways to discover the shape that I want. In that sense I approach fashion more like a sculptor than a tailor." - Backlund.

No comments: