Monday 7 September 2009

Gake No Ue No Ponyo



I often creepily relate to cartoon characters - and they are most often drawn by Yoshitomo Nara or Hayao Miyazaki. Ponyo is a story about a small boy who lives on a cliff and makes friends with a goldfish who, through force of will, turns herself into a human, almost causing the end of the world.

It's out in the UK Feb 2010 (boo!) but luckily I managed to get hold of an amusingly literal subtitled version a couple of months ago. Studio Ghibli has teamed up with Walt Disney Studios, which I understand, but which also makes me feel slightly uncomfortable, like if Bjork supported Celine Dion on tour. One by product of this is when the English (American) dubbed version arrives there will be lots of familiar voices.


See what I mean?

1 comment:

une petite said...

i saw it a few time ago, it was dreamlike ! thanks for giving a bit more of it.